‘Tis the season for a wonderful wintery tutorial from our good friend Chef Mitchie Curran of Mitchies Munchies:
Winter themed weddings, birthdays, whatever the occasion – wow your friends and family with these delicate and beautiful wafer paper snowflakes in just a few easy steps!
Ingredients and Materials:
- Spellbinders® Sweet Accents™ Cake Designer
- Snowflake Pendant Die Cutter
- Pick Tool (not shown)
- Premium Wafer Paper™ – White
- DECOgel™ – White
- Small microwave-safe container (not shown)
- Decorated cake (not shown)
1. Decorate your cake with your preferred method. We used a crumb-coat of buttercream then wrapped a Light Blue Luster Premium Icing sheet (cut to fit) around our cake and topped with a piece of fondant we trimmed to look like a “snow blanket”. Then we used our Snowflake Pendant Die Cutters to make impressions in the fondant (see step 5) . Prepare your Premium Wafer Paper by taking one sheet folding it in half. Fold in half again.
2. Prepare your “Cutting Sandwich”. Place folded wafer paper onto plate C then space the three smallest Snowflake Pendant die cutters, ridges down, atop the wafer paper. Cover with plate A. Run through the Sweet Accents Cake Designer.
3. Disassemble your Sandwich and remove the die cut wafer paper. Carefully separate your snowflakes using the pick tool and lay out your snowflakes. Save the extra “bits” and use them as confetti or additional snow for your projects.
4. Melt a small amount of White DECOgel™ in your microwave-safe container. This will be your “glue” to adhere snowflakes. Place your decorated cake into a position you are comfortable with. Use a small paintbrush to apply light sweeps of DECOgel™ to the backside of your prepared snowflakes and attach to the cake in any area you prefer. Place as many or as little as you’d like, adhere some to your cake board, and for an added effect place the DECOgel™ only on the snowflakes center of backside so edges curl slightly as though it just landed.
We hope you enjoy this tutorial and can’t wait to see what you create!